Assignment ETN3046: Analog and Digital Communications
The main objectives of the Assignment are to evaluate the students’ understanding on the
following learning outcomes (LOs):
LO4: Design basic analog or digital communication systems theoretically and
experimentally to suit the prescribed requirements of various applications.
LO5: Evaluate the fundamental limits (bandwidth and transmission power, etc.) of the
analog and digital communication systems in baseband and passband scenarios.
1. You may choose to work individually or in a group of maximum TWO members. Attach
the reports together and clearly state al members’ names on the front cover. If you are
working in a group, only a single joint report needs to be submitted, however, the
contributions of individual members should be clearly specified in the report.
2. The Assignment consists of TWO questions. Answer ALL the questions.
3. The report should be typewritten. Present your answers and figures neatly and
clearly. Marks will be deducted for sloppy and incomprehensible work.
4. Fill up and attach a cover page (as provided on Page 3) for your report. Reports
without the cover page will receive zero marks.
5. The maximum length of your report is 10 pages (excluding the cover page). Ideally, your
report should be brief, straightforward, and unambiguous. It should include all the
discussion needed to address all the questions asked. Lengthy reports may not necessarily
gain higher marks than shorter ones; it is the quality and presentation of contents that count.
Do not attempt to thicken your report by rambling, which will result in mark deductions. A
concise and well written
7-page report will earn a higher mark than a 15-page report which is full of
grammatical errors and irrelevant discussions.
6. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited. Do not copy from others, as these are their hard work
and efforts. Do not allow to be copied either, as you are allowing plagiarism to take place
and you will have to bear the same consequences as those who neglect this reminder.
ZERO marks will be given to all involved when plagiarism is detected.
7. Please follow ALL the instructions given. Failure to do so will result in mark deductions.
8. This Assignment contributes 15% of the total score for the subject.
Question 1 [5 marks]:
It is desired to set up a central station for simultaneous monitoring of the electrocardiograms
(ECGs) of 10 hospital patients. The data from the rooms of the 10 patients are brought to a
processing center over wires and are sampled, quantized, binary coded, and time-division
multiplexed. The multiplexed data are now transmitted to the monitoring station (see figure
below). The ECG signal bandwidth is 100 Hz. The maximum acceptable error in sample
amplitudes is 0.25% of the peak signal amplitude. The sampling rate is twice the Nyquist
rate. Determine the minimum cable bandwidth required to transmit these data.
Given that signal bandwidth, fm = 100Hz, maximum acceptable error is 0.25% of peak signal
amplitude and sampling rate is twice the Nyquist rate.
Nyquist rate, fN = 2BW or 2fm = 2×100 = 200Hz for each signal
Sampling rate, fs = 2fN = 2×200 = 400Hz for each signal
Maximum acceptable error, ≤ 0.0025mpeak where Δ is mpeak,