Knoowy is an online platform where students can find help for their studies. To make this possible, Knoowy processes personal data. We believe it is important to carefully deal with personal data, and we want to clearly communicate our policy with you.
Use of personal data
Depending on the features you use, we may process the following personal data:
- User name
- E-mail address
- Phone number
- Personal data you actively provide by creating a profile on Knoowy, including first and last name, school details (institution and courses), gender, and a biography.
- Personal data you actively provide by being a tutor, including phone number, Skype name, FaceTime number, Facebook address, address details, skills, training and languages.
- Information entered in any open field, such as giving reviews and messages in a contact form.
- Payment details consisting of IBAN number and account holder.
- Information about your activities on Knoowy.
Why we use your data
Knoowy processes your data with the following purposes:
- To be able to sign up for the platform with your username, e-mail address and password.
- To answer your questions or to handle your complaints via email.
- To communicate through email newsletters.
- To correctly use the system of buying and selling documents, where users are tipped about documents that might be of interest.
- To ensure that users can sell and buy documents.
- To process online payments.
Information provided to third parties
Knoowy cooperates with a third party to handle the payments of documents and tutors. The transmission of payment details is necessary in order to obtain documents and services in a correct manner. By means of an agreement we ensure that your personal information is not used for other purposes, and that the data are removed as soon as they are no longer needed.
When you purchase a service from a tutor at Knoowy, personal data is exchanged between both parties. These are the data actively provided by tutors when adding the service, or when purchasing the service.
We work with a third party to send e-mails and text messages. By means of an agreement we guarantee that your data will not be used for other purposes.
In all other cases, your personal data on Knoowy will not be shared with other parties without explicit permission.
Time we keep personal data
Knoowy does not story personal data longer than necessary. Your account details will be kept as long as your account remains active on Knoowy. You can determine yourself when you wish to end your membership with Knoowy. From the moment your account is deleted, all your personal data will be removed from our system.
Knoowy uses functional cookies. A cookie is a small text file that is stored on your device as soon as you visit Knoowy. We use these cookies to make sure that Knoowy functions properly. You can choose to disable cookies via your browser, but this will prevent some parts of Knoowy from functioning correctly.
Knoowy uses Google Universal Analytics to analyse website usage. For example, these are data about how many people visit Knoowy and what webpages are visited. The data we collect via Google Universal Analytics does not contain any personal information, and cannot be traced back to individual users.
Knoowy believes it is important that the security of the website and of personal data is well organized. Knoowy uses a secure SSL connection, which you can recognize by the lock symbol in your browser. In addition, we make backups on an external server.
If you are 16 years old or younger, you can only use Knoowy with the permission of your parents or legal representatives.
Your legal rights
You have the right to view your personal data and, if necessary, to correct, limit or delete them. You can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Knoowy will process your request as quickly as possible, but in any case within 20 working days. You can also change previously granted permissions via your account settings.
When you have any further complaints about how Knoowy uses personal information, you have the right to report this with the Dutch Data Protection Authority. You can contact the Dutch Data Protection Authority here.
If you have any further questions about this privacy statement, you can contact us.
This privacy statement was last modified on 24-05-2018